5/26/12

On piano recitals and celebrating our friend, Summer, again and again

I began to take weekly piano lessons again in January, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. When I began to play, quand j'étais une petite fille, my adorable (aka, chubby) five-year-old self-conscious (in broken english) knew that one day, I'd become a virtuosic pianist of incredible, natural talent.....and I'd also own an ice cream parlor. To be more realistic, like it is for all piano students,
'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...' 
(the rest of this quotation doesn't really pertain to my thoughts...)
I stopped playing altogether at one point and loathed it with all of my being. Then, I loved it and had a senior recital, playing in an old Poughkeepsie church on the (no joke) hottest day of the summer in a no-air-con room. (It was all worth it, since it was followed by a jello cake that resembled the Canadian flag.)

This May, I performed in two recitals, in opposite capacities. I accompanied Chris Yip in his concert to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Brooklyn Music School...and to honor all moms everywhere, in a Shostakovich four hands waltz and polka. It was my first performance in six years, so when I realized where I was as I walked on the stage, I could feel my legs shake.
The concert was called "Notes for Mom." My parents really love trees...
With all of the evening's performers
It was a really cute concert, with dancers and drummers, young pianists, a singer, a clarinetist, and spoke word. Afterwards, we went to dinner at Olea - YUM. 

Today, I played a couple of Chopin preludes. Its a sort of gateway performance for my re-entering the world of classical piano and...my studying Prokofiev for the next recital. It went pretty well, and once I began to play, it came fairly naturally. There was a touch and go moment in the beginning when I thought I forgot the first chord... but yes, its in C minor, and therefore, must begin in C minor, non?
There I am...on stage!
Obviously, it was followed by a good meal - but this time, at home. Mitch leaves for the Bay Area tomorrow (he arrived back in Brooklyn this afternoon!), and he hasn't eaten a home-cooked meal in two weeks! My mom is a sweetheart, and she brought a full-on Korean meal featuring lettuce wraps and ssamjang (쌈장)! :) 
On commencement soon! Yes, this is my blog now. 
Oh, and Hanover! GO SUMMER!

PS. If anyone knows of smart books on Haitian refugees in Cuba, I'd owe you my life...or my job. 
PPS. It was Africa Day yesterday! Here's some Amadou and Miriam (can't wait to see them in August... what a duo!):

No comments:

Post a Comment