7/8/12

Grecian myths and loud cicadas

After an exhausting series of flights, I finally arrived in Olympia, Greece two days ago. Olympia is a small town (according to Wikipedia, the community pop. is just under 1500!) in the West Peloponnese. Its where the Olympic Games were supposedly conceived, and the ruins of the stadium are still here! Olympia has beautiful Cyprus trees that touch the heavens, and the 'campus' (of sorts) is really nice. The downside to all of these things is the unbearable afternoon heat and humidity. I love the summer, but this is a bit much!


I'm here for a seminar called "the Transformation of Conflict", and its a gathering of graduate students and advanced 'students' of the social sciences from everywhere. Its an exciting environment, and I'm thrilled to be here. I think we'll have a great time, in solidarity, learning (and going to the beach...). I'm going to have to learn a thousand names - associated with faces, school, country, and research...super-fast.

After this stint, I'm flying to Santorini to be a beach bum in search of inner peace for a few days. Then, back to Athens...and then, BROOKLYN - where my heart is. I miss our apartment already.
lesigh

 On the way to Athens, via Paris, I sat next to Gino Sitson, a musicologist and vocalistic in a few afro-jazz and a cappella projects! Here's a little something that I found in his repertoire to play in the background of your summer research/vacation/job/or just plain summer! Its fantastic!

In this search, I found another GEM:

As Mitch and others know, I have a massive girl crush on Esperanza Spalding... We're going in October, and its a wish come true! FINALLY, right?!

OK y'all: As reality confirms, Federer is numéro 1! 

1 comment:

  1. ooh an update! yay!
    Also, I like Gino Stitson's video.

    ReplyDelete